Phannie

Phannie
Photo taken near Monument Valley, Utah

Monday, December 30, 2013

Mystery Solved

At Northlake RV Resort, Houston…

Okay, let's just go ahead and call this what it was: A "duh" moment.  You will recall in the last post my puzzlement over the very low representation of higher-end RVs at this park.  It didn't make sense to me why this beautiful RV resort appears to be shunned by big rigs and populated almost entirely by what appear to be working folks.

Now, before you begin labeling me as some sort of snob, you should know that I have absolutely no problem with this; I feel perfectly comfortable here, and I certainly wouldn't let this influence my choice of RV parks.  However, I know now why this park is not the choice of most retired folks (who largely comprise the big rig community and who can be a bit cranky about this sort of thing):  It's the trains and planes.  Less than a half mile away from this park are some mainline railroad tracks that carry perhaps two dozen or more trains every day, around the clock.  The international airport is also nearby, but the aircraft noise is very minor compared to the trains, whose engineers seem overly enthusiastic about their use of horns.  Even so, this doesn't bother us all that much, as we generally keep the windows closed and use a fan for white noise at night.  But we know some other RVers who wouldn't be caught dead in such an environment.   



Therefore, the "duh" on my part. This oversight in planning represents probably the first time I have chosen a new park without reading reviews about it--reviews that would certainly have mentioned the proximity of the railroad tracks and the attendant noise factor.  Actually, I'm not unhappy with Northlake, for it is, obviously, a super nice park from the standpoint of amenities; I'm just a bit irritated at myself because I forgot to check it out thoroughly, and that represents yet another of the little daily reminders that I'm not getting any younger and neither is the old brain.  However, don't count me out yet; I still recognize what's-her-name sitting across from me.  









8 comments:

  1. That would definitely explain things. We usually don't notice train noise much either. I think that has much to do with hearing loss as well as staying in RV parks who are frequently near trail lines.

    ReplyDelete
  2. John loves trains and if one wakes me, I fall right back to sleep. It would take more than that to discourage us from staying there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our champion campground for trains was a small one, which looks like it no longer exists, in Roscoe, Nebraska. The soil was bouncy and the trains ran about one block away, so when they went by it was a small earthquake. Other notable ones were the Yogi Bear in Emporia, VA, right by a railroad switching yard, and Mojave Narrows Regional Park in Victorville, CA, with trains going by very close all night and day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We have found that trains and RV parks are very often on top of each other:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Seems most places we have traveled there has always been a distant train whistle somewhere. Don't mind that as long as they are distant. We generally don't get close enough to larger cities to be bothered by airplanes. In Congress here we F-16 fighter jets in mock dog fights over our house but I don't mind that. Kinda neat watching those guys.......even at night.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Joe and I are lover of trains and planes. We get pretty excited when we find we are close to busy railroad tracks, or military bases or airports.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think I would like to hear the howl of a coyote or hoot of an owl, than a howl of airplane engines and hoots of train whistles... LOL

    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    Karen and Steve
    (Blog) RVing: The USA Is Our Big Backyard
    http://kareninthewoods-kareninthewoods.blogspot.com
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

    ReplyDelete
  8. Seems most places we have traveled there has always been a distant train whistle somewhere. Don't mind that as long as they are distant. We generally don't get close enough to larger cities to be bothered by airplanes. affordable used cars in houston

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate comments and read every one of them. If your Blogger settings allow, I will happily respond.