Phannie

Phannie
Photo taken near Monument Valley, Utah

Saturday, January 21, 2017

Rainy Weather, Under the Weather and Dealing with Old Photos

At Sunset Shores RV Park, Willis, Texas...

I'm not exactly in love right now with this part of my glorious home state. It has been raining for days here near the gulf coast, and I'm beginning to think I'm getting moldy. We have been here through the holidays and grandson Pryce's birthday, and we are more than ready to head south towards the Rio Grande Valley and a more friendly climate. It will still be a while before we do that, however, because we've decided to go ahead and identify a new set of physicians and a dentist to take care of our medical and dental needs since we're likely to be in and out of here on a regular basis. It will be difficult to leave the healthcare providers we have relied upon for decades in the DFW area, but our experience with the locals is quite promising here near Houston.

Sandy and I have almost fully recovered from colds, and I was able to knock out a sinus infection through taking some antibiotics with which we stock up from the Mexican pharmacias when we're in the RGV.  The gray, rainy skies here, combined with our sniffling, snorting and coughing from our colds has not made for a very pleasant time, but we're glad to be getting rid of these maladies, hopefully for the rest of the year.

There hasn't been much to write about, but we've kept ourselves busy going through old photos from storage and culling out all but the good ones, which we store in some rather neat plastic cases designed for this purpose that we ordered from Amazon:



We put labels on the individual cases inside the 'mother' box as a means of identifying what's inside. And we've also found that the more experience we get with culling out the photo rejects, the more of them we tend to toss. I suppose we're getting a better idea of which ones are really worth keeping, and that's a good thing, I think. 

Now, before you berate me for not digitizing these before now, let me offer my rationale, however weak, for doing it this way for the time being. Yes, we should have started digitizing these photos years ago before we even considered fulltiming. And yes, we know digitizing is the best way to preserve the memories and save space. But here's the rub: It has been our experience that people in our circles are far more likely to pick up the photos in their hands and look at them rather than trying to retrieve them from a digital device. I'm not sure why this is, but that is the case; I don't know, perhaps it's a generational thing. Besides that, the task is so daunting--we have untold thousands of photos, some from generations ago. 

So, we think we need to use this means to sort them out, think about them and do an initial culling. Then, perhaps later, we can go through them again and discard even more of them. When we're sure we have the keepers, then we might hire someone to put them on a disk. We need to hurry with this, as our daughter, Mindy, would not be able to identify many of the people in the photos if we're not around.

Well, that wasn't a very positive thought, was it? I'm thinking the obnoxious weather and lack of sunshine is contributing to this dark mood, so perhaps another round of Frito chili pie might be just the thing to perk me up:



Yes, yes, that's the ticket. That's what I needed. Savoring this while watching the Trump inauguration has gotten me in a much better mood already.


Thank you, Lord, for this wonderful life; please forgive me if I don't appreciate it enough each day.

12 comments:

  1. Nice to hear from you again, hope your colds clear up soon. What to do with all the old photos can sure be a chore. Good rainy day projects.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, George! Yeah, we usually catch one of these darned colds every winter. I'm glad it's over for a while. We shouldn't have procrastinated about the photos. Not wise.

      Delete
  2. Quartzite had rain yesterday evening and it's been cold and windy but the RVers are still here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Jan! Well, I guess it could be worse. We could be in the far north somewhere...or NOT!

      Delete
  3. You're not alone with the weather. We've had a nasty day yesterday and evening, windy for sure. Sunshine today so hope you get it as well and feel good soon. That pie looks delish!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Patsy! I'm beginning to think that January is an unnecessary month. I'm not sure how to get rid of it but, as a month, it doesn't have much going for it.

      Delete
  4. At least I was not the only one watching Trump come to power 😉. Please get well so you feel up to traveling more. Sandy's shopping finds are dearly missed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It won't be too soon, I can tell you! Since Sandy hasn't been shopping all that much, I'm sure the economy has taken a downturn! ;-)

      Delete
  5. Working on the picture files is my main occupation when we are at home. It is a good thing I enjoy it:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I admire you! I wish we had had the gumption to start this sooner.

      Delete
  6. I hope you get well soon. We are having a bad weather too.

    - Gustavo Woltmann

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! We are already much better and hope this will be the end of it for a while. And we hope your weather improves soon; if you're like us, gloomy weather is not a favorite.

      Delete

I appreciate comments and read every one of them. If your Blogger settings allow, I will happily respond.