Phannie

Phannie
Photo taken near Monument Valley, Utah

Saturday, January 13, 2018

Rally Time Again and Pinky Trauma

At Sunset Point RV Resort, Marble Falls, Texas...

After the ridiculous cold spell in the Houston area, it felt good to fire up Phannie and head over to Marble Falls for the January rally of our Tiffin owners' club.  On the way, we stopped for a couple of nights at La Hacienda RV Resort in Austin to visit with fulltimer friends Steve and Jackie, who would accompany us later to Marble 
Falls in their Phaeton.  

Not wishing to pass up an opportunity to try new restaurants, Steve and Jackie took us to a couple of their favorites, and they quickly became favorites of ours, too! Now for those who get tired of reading about our constant foodie exploits, I say with the utmost affection: This is something you probably need to get over. Everybody has to eat, so why not talk about places that are interesting and exceptional? You may want to try them yourselves some day, right? And, by the way, these will be included in our favorites restaurant list linked over there in the right margin.

We loved the chipotle grilled pork chop and seasoned fresh corn at Verde's, an upscale Mexican grill:






Steve and Jackie
At Opie's BBQ, one must take off one's hat to their offerings of Texas smoked fare; they serve it the old fashioned way--until it runs out!



Besides having great BBQ, the owners also have side dishes to die for--things like spicy creamed corn, tater tot casserole, butterbeans and some killer cobbler. This place is some distance from Austin, out highway 71 to Spicewood, but worth the drive.

We traveled close behind Steve and Jackie out to Marble Falls, where we were obligated, of course, to have dinner at the legendary Bluebonnet Cafe. We had coupons for free pie, and that's all it took to get the whole bunch out there, and the food, fun--and pie--were great!



Earlier in the day, soon after our arrival at our site at Sunset Point, I had a slight accident while doing something I shouldn't have been doing--rushing--to get Phannie parked and set up and join our group for lunch. No, there was no damage to Phannie, just to my little finger that somehow I neglected to remove fully from a closing belly door. It nearly sliced the tip off my finger, and the result was, well, a little bloody, I'm afraid. We quickly headed for the hospital, where the wound was sewn up expertly with four stitches after I struggled, with the complication of my infirmity, to complete the endless paperwork that I think would have sufficed for a heart transplant.



I'm not going to show you the wound like some bloggers do when they suffer injuries (some of the photos included in their posts are pretty gruesome, and I never understood why they think their readers want to see that).

But, back to my pinky:  Okay, I can hear you out there right now: "For God's sake, Mike, what's the big deal?" Well, it wasn't a big deal but, for some reason, the fact that it was my pinky finger seemed automatically to diminish the seriousness of the wound to, well, zero in the minds of my "friends" in the club. I reminded them that it required four stitches, but that didn't seem to matter. I was going to get roasted about this.

Upon my return from the hospital, people who I previously thought were really nice, caring folks were merciless in their teasing me about my ineptness in doing something as simple as closing a bay door without requiring a hospital visit. I confess to egging them on by pretending to be largely "disabled" by the trauma--using a cane to walk and even pretending to need a footstool to get into a car. Totally ridiculous, of course, but hey--aren't we supposed to act more childish when we get old?





It was all great fun, of course, but perhaps less so for me than the others, as their fingers weren't the ones doing the throbbing, were they?

The next day was the regular club business meeting, where we also had 'Tech Talk,' a show and tell that's always a popular means of catching up on the latest info and gadgets for RVers. Chip leads this discussion and always does a fine job.


 
Many in the group were headed to Quartzsite after the rally, but we couldn't resolve some scheduling conflicts to make the trip ourselves. We're headed to Fredericksburg for a couple of days before returning to Conroe.  I'll have a post about that next time.


Thank you, Lord, for this wonderful life; 
please forgive me if I don't appreciate it as I should each day.




I had rather see the world and own little than to own the whole world and see little of it. 
--Alexander Sattler












14 comments:

  1. We ran from, and waited out Hurricane Ike at La Hacienda in Austin. . .a very, very nice place.

    So very sorry about your boo boo, and that you aren't getting the appropriate sympathies. As you know, Dave would have joined right in with the razzing. . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I know. Dave would have had a field day with this; he's such a caring and sensitive soul! HaHa!

      Delete
  2. Wow...... Don't any pride!?? It's one thing to whine around the rally, but to subject the whole world to it is shameful! It also didn't keep you from shuffling the cards or dragging in the one pot that you accidentally won in the poker game!

    We are sitting in Las Cruces waiting for the few folks who went to your pity party on Friday night!! Most of us will be going out tonight for great Mexican food, but I will ask for a 'moment of silence' for your major tradegy....... not sure what the results will be!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can always count on you to be supportive and positive, Richard. I just want you to know that I do not believe Patsy when she says you run over roadkill twice to make sure it is dead...

      Delete
  3. I always experience a sense of Embarrassment when injured but sometimes it just stands out like a sore Thumb. In your case a sore Pinky.
    Be Safe, no more injuries and Enjoy all those eateries.

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love your pun--sore thumb indeed! I must say, everyone--including me--had a lot of fun at my expense. Happy travels!

      Delete
  4. You do find some interesting food places to enjoy. Ouch for the pinky and ham it up because you can.
    Heck we can't stop growing old but we don't have to grow up. we are all just big kids afterall..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, George; I figure that if I keep acting like a child, I may grow old but, hopefully, I won't act old!

      Delete
  5. Oooooh you poor baby! Who among us hasn't caught their finger in a storage door. I can almost feel your pain. . . We really appreciate your restaurant recommendations and use your blog as a reference wherever we travel, so greatly appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, guys! Well, I hope they work out for you. Sometimes, I will revisit a place that I have recommended only to find it has declined; then I have to remove them from the list. But I'm glad you find my list useful! Be safe out there, y'all!

      Delete
  6. Hmmmm...not sure many in this rally group had any sympathetic notions toward you! But Steve and I were just worried sick (for Sandy)🤕🤕🤕 waiting on you finger and foot was exhausting! We all have our strengths and WEAKNESSES! We had a blast picking on you, your way to easy🤓
    Take care heading back home, bad weather headed our way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The little woman did a fine job catering to me during my near death experience, as she should. I can't say anything tacky about you and Steve, because you hauled us around everywhere we went. We had a great time and look forward to seeing you in Conroe!

      Delete
  7. Mike, I like the way you tell a story, always puts a smile on my face. Even when it's at your own expense. Laughter is the best medicine, so they say, and we all do these things to ourselves at one time or another. Hope the healing is quick, hate the throbbing, of coarse, you could always ask Sandy to stump on your foot, then you might forget about the pain in your pinky.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Bill, for being a loyal reader. I agree that laughter is the best medicine, and I'm glad you find humor in the little pieces I write. That is my intention, and it is very satisfying to know that I have succeeded. Stay well, my friend!

      Delete

I appreciate comments and read every one of them. If your Blogger settings allow, I will happily respond.