Phannie

Phannie
Photo taken near Monument Valley, Utah

Thursday, January 16, 2020

Yuma - For the First Time

At Palms RV Resort, Yuma, Arizona...


Before I get into my observations of Yuma, I would like to express my condolences to the family of fellow fulltiming RV blogger George Yates, who wrote  Our Awesome Travels and lost his battle with cancer a couple of days ago. Although we had never met, we had become cyber friends, and I wish we could have met in person. The RV blogger world is not a large one, and he will be missed as a true gentleman and active writer among our group. May God's comfort be yours, Suzie.

Now, as to Yuma:

I guess it's odd that we've traveled as much as we have all over the U. S. and abroad but somehow never made it to Yuma, Arizona, yet it's true. Furthermore, had it not been for a super special introductory rate offered by the Palms, we may not be seeing it now. But here we are, and I've already made some interesting observations. 

First of all, Palms RV Resort is a luxury RV park, for sure--you know, one of those hoity-toity places where you have to send a photo of your rig if it's over ten years old. Well, Phannie's age is certainly beyond that but, apparently, they didn't think she looks like a junker in the photo I sent them, so they said, "Come on down!" 

Now, I must tell you that I have mixed feelings about this kind of snootiness. I understand that high-end parks cater to a certain kind of clientele--usually ones with deep pockets--many of whom really don't like having unsightly rigs around them, spoiling the neighborhood. In order to keep the well-heeled coming back, parks like this one let these customers call the shots, so I get it; that makes some business sense, even if it is off-putting to most regular folks. I must confess that I would prefer not to have parked next door to me some rig that is a truly dilapidated eyesore and perhaps even unsafe to be around. I couldn't help but wonder who or what might be inside.

On the other hand, it is a bit of a downer to realize that Phannie could be thought of as elderly to the point of being unwanted when, to me, she is a well-loved classic that has aged gracefully. I have cared for her to the best of my ability, overdoing the manufacturer's recommendations in some cases. I give her frequent washings and waxing when needed. In turn, she has served us faithfully, with nary a hiccup from her Caterpillar engine and Allison transmission in nearly a hundred thousand miles. I just don't know if we could ever part with her. She's family.

There's one more thing that we've noticed about luxury RV parks: They aren't very friendly. I'm not talking about the staff, who are very friendly and helpful here. I'm talking about the other RVers, many of whom seem to go out of their way to avoid eye contact and certainly don't come over to visit, as if we are alien creatures from another galaxy. Maybe it's the Texas license tags, and they are afraid of all the guns they assume all Texans have. Well, that may be a valid assumption, but we really go out of our way to avoid shooting visitors. 

It says a lot that we have met some of our best friends at discount parks or ones that are mediocre, at best, where no one cares about the age of your coach but instead looks for the size of your smile and the warmth in your heart. Those are our kind of people. In any case, we certainly won't be returning here to the Palms, so we'll leave a few photos to remind us of what we're not missing:






How about this for a casita?
Okay, that's about enough of Camelot; let's get back to Yuma itself. I now know why this is such a haven for snowbirds, and I'll talk about that in a minute. But first, here's a screenshot from Google Earth showing, from what I would guess to be about 25,000 feet, an uncountable number of RV parks along I-8, the main artery feeding Yuma.



There are a few housing additions in this photo but, if you zoomed in, you'd see that most are parks with RVs, park models and other cramped-together snowbird roosts. Outside the perimeters of the photo are many more. So why the mass migration influx in the winter? 

It's the weather, of course; and what great weather it is! Almost every day boasts clear blue skies with temperatures in the seventies, cool nights, with very low humidity. And, unlike the Rio Grande Valley, it's not often windy. For example, look at the photo below--specifically at the flag in the center, drooping down the flagpole. This was a very typical winter's day in Yuma, with the temperature a perfect 72 degrees. Having said that, this is not a place I would want to be in the summer. That's why the snowbirds blast out of here in the spring as if they're fleeing a hurricane. It gets HOT!



And I don't even need to mention the beauty of the rest of the photo above, especially the cacti juxtaposed against the bricks and stucco--a look that east Texas forest creatures like me find particularly attractive because it's so different from where I grew up. This landscaping was obviously professionally done, but many homes, businesses and government buildings have similarly attractive landscapes. Here's an old wagon used in landscaping at the Yuma Prison State Park, about which I'll cover in another post:



Well, there's a good bit more I have to share about Yuma, but that'll appear in the next few days.



Thank you, Lord, for this wonderful life; 
please forgive me if I fail to appreciate it each day as I should.

We don't stop playing because we get old; we get old because we stop playing. 
 ---George Bernard Shaw


"I get up every morning, and I just don't let the old man in." ---Clint Eastwood

17 comments:

  1. We could not agree more on your assessment of luxury RV parks, but to be honest, our budget wouldn't allow us to stay in them for long or often. We do love spending our winter in the Yuma area, even though we stay at a RV park just inside California. Hope you are enjoying your time there and taking in all there is to explore. As mentioned before the "City of Yuma", Aeronca Sedan aircraft hanging from the ceiling of the city hall, with your aviation back ground I think you would find interesting. We are in Quartzsite until the 29th when we will return to Pilot Knob RV park for another month. If you are still in the area, it would be nice to meet, if not, safe travels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. I will have a post about the Aeronca in a few days, and we would love to meet up. Just email us at Mike dot sandy dot mills at gmail dot com.

      Delete
  2. WOW, I have never heard my experience with "upper" level rv parks put so exactly correct. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I tend to generalize, I'm afraid. I'm sure there are plenty of nice people here, we just haven't found any.

      Delete
  3. Take the time to explore the State Prison Museum while in Yuma.
    Take a day trip on Arizona 95 during this week to see the "Big Tent" in Quartzsite our favourite spot. You can also visit the museum at the GM Proving Grounds also on AZ 95. Make that on a different day.
    In reference to George his Smile was contagious and he always had a good word for everyone. The RV Community has lost a great Ambassador.
    We unfortunately didn't make it to the southwest this winter but are hoping to return next year.
    Be certain to top off all your Fuel and Gasoline before going into California.
    Be Safe and Enjoy!

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks,! We are planning to do most of what you suggested. Great minds!

      Delete
  4. Hmmmm. . .well. . .mmmm, that place you are staying in Yuma looks way, way different than the gravel, and sand park we stayed in there. . .LOL!

    Hope you have already had a date milkshake. . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are indeed getting a date milkshake when we go through Indio. Looking forward to that. Miss you guys!

      Delete
  5. A date milkshake? I like dates, but I'm having a hard time translating their flavor into a milkshake in my mind. It would be interesting to hear the results of your taste test.

    RV Parks and campgrounds are a lot like people in that each has its own individual personality, character traits and quirks. Just as with people, some you take to right away and immediately feel comfortable in the relationship; others, well, you're just happy whenever you see them in your rearview mirror. I like that we can always depend on you for your honest opinion, Mike, but I'm glad that your "duds" seem to be few and far between. Yuma itself looks delightful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, Mary, I haven't had a date shake in decades, so I can't even remember what they were like. But I will report back, for sure. You're right about parks having their own personality. Fortunately, you don't have to worry about that, too much, as nature is rarely grumpy, is it? Sometimes I wish we weren't so much into the urban areas; I think you have the better camping mindset.

      Delete
  6. One of the things I love about the RVing lifestyle is that there's an RV out there to fit every want and need. The same is true of campgrounds and RV parks. We all have our favorite rigs, destinations, activities and campgrounds - and I think that's what makes the RVing world such an intriguing and educational place in which to hang out. A variety of flavors improves the meal, so to speak.

    P.S. If you don't mind, I'm going to hold on to your email address mentioned above. That way I can tease and torment you privately when I feel the need. ��

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, please do. I'm quite fond of harassment, giving and receiving. And I suspect there was a cosmic reason the angel didn't show up. See?

      Delete
  7. Mike, I'm glad we were able to get together yesterday and look forward to having you stop by on Tuesday. There really are a lot of friendly people in our Park. I hope the weather get a little warmer so, maybe, you can get out and around and meet some of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, I overgeneralized. I had no idea you guys were here in the Palms. Nicer people we've never met.

      Delete
  8. Thank you for sharing, I really enjoyed your story about the Yuma prison. I love the humor you toss around... I giggled at the little remarks you make. Keep that humor going in your Blogs, it makes for a very interesting read. (((hugs to you and Sandy))) Safe Travels and interesting my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a wonderful comment that I cherish but, of which I feel a bit undeserving. While these posts may seem organized, I begin each having no idea what I am going to write, knowing only that I need to say something about what I've observed and the photos I've taken. And I don't purposely inject humor into the story--I simply write what comes to mind. If it turns out humorous, that's because I try not to take life--and certainly myself--too seriously. I'm glad you find it entertaining. Your kind comments are like receiving a gift. Thank you!

      Delete

I appreciate comments and read every one of them. If your Blogger settings allow, I will happily respond.