Phannie

Phannie
Photo taken near Monument Valley, Utah

Wednesday, June 21, 2023

Phannie Needs a Little Extra Attention, So Plans Change

 At Tom Sawyer RV Park, West Memphis, Arkansas...


You may recall from a previous post that I had made a miscalculation about the need to make an appointment at Bay Diesel for Phannie's annual checkup. We spent quite a few, um, less-than-productive days awaiting our turn, and then the day came. The servicing took only a couple of hours, but we learned from the tech that some more work would be needed, and that would involve the ordering of parts.

Ordering parts for a "classic" coach like Phannie is not always easy, and it certainly doesn't happen quickly. It seems the old girl needs attention mostly to the suspension system, something that is completely understandable after 16 years and 125,000 miles. The need, it appears, is for new airbags, repair to a leak in the air line, new shocks and, oh, by the way, new engine hoses. The old gal is still quite drivable, and I don't notice any difference in her handling, but I really had some misgivings about a long trip to Colorado this summer without updating things that could cause a breakdown in the middle of nowhere. 

So, I had quite a bit of back-and-forth with Teresa at Bay Diesel regarding when Phannie may return to have all this done. "Well," she said, "We're gonna have to order some parts, and we don't know how long it will take to get them here for a coach like yours."

I thought her choice of words was nicely done--typical of ladies of the South. If we had been somewhere in Yankee territory, I would probably have heard something like, "It's gonna take us a while to comb through junkyards to find what you need for this derelict coach of yours."

Well, some may think she is a derelict, but she has been lovingly cared for and has had many new upgrades over the years. Her hulky Caterpillar diesel engine, the same monster that runs hundreds of thousands of pieces of construction equipment all over the world, has never had a hiccup, and it has not needed a drop of DEF. Studies have shown that it should easily reach 500,000 miles before any major repair is needed; that will certainly outlast us! Phannie is solidly built from when almost every Tiffin owner will admit were the "good" years. Trade her off? Unthinkable.

Teresa and I settled on July 24 as the day of the work. "July 24?" I was aghast that we would have to hang around for a month in a town that was too small even for a WalMart. Red Bay doesn't even have a Dairy Queen, for goodness' sake! 

During our downtime awaiting her service visit, I had Phannie's exterior lighting upgraded to something a little brighter when we need it. I'm pretty happy with the result:


Since we had more than a month to kill before July 24, we decided to drive over to Memphis and attend the annual gospel quartet show. Having been a gospel pianist all my life, I really enjoy these. We always park at the Tom Sawyer campground by the Mississippi River. It's always fun to watch the river traffic go by:


The river is very low right now, as you can tell from the narrowness at this point. This places the navigable channel very close to our campground, which is even better for viewing the river traffic.

Walking near the water, I spotted these old logs that had been washed downriver perhaps decades ago, undoubtedly uprooted by a flood from who-knows-where:


There is so much history associated with this mighty river, it is easy to get lost in thought about its past and, indeed, its present. I could almost hear the wonderful old song, "Old Man River" that I play often when I do show tunes on the piano:


After attending the quartet show, we'll leave Memphis and spend a couple of weeks in Branson with old friends Larry and Carolyn and their family. That will be a fun experience and a pleasant way to pass the time until our return to Red Bay. 

After that, we will finally make our way to Colorado and the cool mountain air. Fortunately, the temperature has been unusually comfortable in this area since we left Texas. I hope it stays that way for another month. I looked at the temperature in Hondo today, and it was 104 with a heat index of 117; that's why most of the park empties out in the summertime. We think of our friends who have to stay there in the summer and thank Mr. Carrier for inventing air conditioning.

Thanks to all for hanging on as we take the curves in our trip plans, but that's the nice thing about being retired--who cares?

 Thank you, Lord, for this wonderful life; please forgive me if I don't appreciate it as I should every day.



We don't stop playing because we get old; we get old because we stop playing. 
 ---George Bernard Shaw

"I get up every morning, and I just don't let the old man in." ---Clint Eastwood



13 comments:

  1. I’m glad you’re enjoying the down time and making the best of it. You might practice some on your Polker playing and come up with some new games. We miss you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been practicing, Howard, but I don’t have a ringer like you. I always win.

      Delete
  2. Awww we depart from Branson on Monday. (Turkey Creek-SKP) and will probably miss you (lucky I guess)
    Good luck when you return to Red Bay
    ~W~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. MM: Well, phooey, we would have enjoyed seeing Lanie (grin).

      Delete
  3. We sure understand. I know we were hoping to see you in Colorado. I will send you an email explaining why we are still home!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bill would say that Phannies engine is not even broken in yet. 😊
    Good luck with everything, enjoy your down time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bill is wise because he agrees with me. (grin)

      Delete
  5. I'm sorry to hear that your immediate plans were upended, Mike, but I see by your revised plans that you didn't spend much time wallowing around in self pity. (Or maybe you did, but put on an excellent show to hide it!) We always enjoy camping on the Mississippi and watching the traffic on the river. It looks like you had delightful front row seats! Travel safely, and I'll keep my fingers crossed that all of your parts arrive on or ahead of schedule.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mary. I could probably use some new body parts, too, but I'm trying to put that off as long as possible. (I have a low pain threshold.)

      Delete
  6. Doing it now on your and Sandy's schedules beats doing it on Phannie's schedule. Phannie is going to be so much happier with her undercarriage upgrades.

    Love the upgraded lights. . .beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you're right, Janice. (Dave always tells me that, too.) I've got to get Phannie's makeover done before I get one for myself!

      Delete
  7. Your blog is so beautiful, I have been so busy lately about life but let me share with you all about my health life experience with the great herbal traditional doctor that saved the life of mine and my dear husband.
    I was suffering from a deadly disease herpes and diabetes and i went through alot trying to get better each everyday of my life until I came across a testimony on blogs someone telling good about Dr Jekawo, a traditional herbal doctor that cure all kind of disease such as: herpes,diabetes,cancer,hpv,lupus,degenerative disease also bring back ex, and other spiritual consultations, I contacted him via drjekawo@gmail.com then he pepareed the herbal medicines and send to me which takes 21 days treatment that cured my diabetes and herpes completely,I'm so grateful with the help he rendered to me therefore I promised to share his great works.
    Thank you and I hope this could save someone else out there.
    Karen Paul
    South Carolina.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate comments and read every one of them. If your Blogger settings allow, I will happily respond.