Phannie

Phannie
Photo taken near Monument Valley, Utah

Saturday, May 21, 2016

The "End" Justifies the Means

At Jellystone RV Park, Burleson, Texas...

This will be a short post with a simple message having to do with one of the most important things you can do for your health: A colonoscopy. Mine has been done now, as it has been done periodically for 25 years, and it is no less disgusting than it ever was, but it is a life saver. 

Physicians tell us that we should consider this procedure once you reach 40, with more regularity after you turn 50. My first one was at age 43, and I probably would have ignored this advice then, had it not been for bleeding episodes. I won't go into the details, but the physicians at Scott and White, an acclaimed Texas-based hospital, said they barely caught it in time. Once this stage has been surpassed and metastasis has occurred, the outcome can be bleak. 

Having had beloved family members perish needlessly of colon cancer through inattention, I believe I would not be a friend to my readers if I didn't bring this up, even though most people I know don't need reminding. I think my life was one that was saved by prompt medical attention. If I had it to do over again, I would have had my first colonoscopy at age 40; then they would have found the offending polyp before it became serious.

Think about this: There is a long list of famous people who died of colon cancer, among them, Audrey Hepburn, Farah Fawcett, Jack Lemmon, Jackie Gleason, Milton Berle, Ertha Kitt, Elizabeth Montgomery, Charles Schultz, Vince Lombardi, Tip O'Neill, and the list goes on and on. As you can see, the disease is no respecter of gender, race, fame, power or wealth; it can strike anyone.

There. That's all I'm going to say about it; my latest report was good but, in five years, I'll be having another of these inspections with its lovely night-before preparatory experience, and I won't bother you with this lecture again until that time. But bother you I will!

Thank you, Lord, for this wonderful life; please forgive me if I don't appreciate it enough each day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate comments and read every one of them. If your Blogger settings allow, I will happily respond.