Phannie

Phannie
Photo taken near Monument Valley, Utah

Thursday, May 2, 2024

Sunrise, Sunset

 At home in Lindale, Texas...

This is going to be a difficult post, I'm afraid. After much thought, prayers and yes, gnashing of teeth, it now has become clear that Phannie and Mae must come to an end. It is almost like losing a member of the family after almost 20 years of posts about our RV journeys.  If you've had the fortitude to read through it all, you will have lived it as we did, learning from our mistakes and loving every bit of it. This will, sadly, be the last post.

We have been so fortunate to see in person so many wonders of our country that most people see only in photographs. And we will have this blog, which we will have printed, to remember it all. 

We are so honored to have reached officially more than a million pageviews. (They didn't start counting until we had written for the first five years.) We thought about our readers a great deal, and we are humbled that you followed us along from newbies to, well, needing to hang up the keys.

Let me hurry to explain that our decision is not based on any physical ailments that are taking us away from RVing. Well, there are a few annoyances that are common when one reaches elderly status, but we just know the time has come. It is much like when Sandy and I retired from our professions and became fulltimers. Sandy asked one of her retired schoolteacher friends how she would know when it's time to retire. "Don't worry; you'll know," came the answer. And so it was when I retired, and so it is with the end of our RVing journeys.

One of the hardest things to contemplate is the handoff of Phannie--and Mae--to someone else. Phannie was our home for eight years of fulltiming and 13 years of ownership. We've driven her more than a hundred thousand miles, and she has never been anything but dependable. Not a single breakdown, not a single failure to start the Cat engine with a few turns, not even a single "check engine" light in all that time. We know we were lucky to get one of the "good years" of Tiffin motorhomes, and we had the good sense to have her lovingly serviced all that time. That is probably the main reason she has been so faithful. There is also the fact that she's been driven fairly often instead of setting idle--something that is supposedly not good for big motorhomes. Sandy will definitely cry when Phannie leaves for the last time, and I can't promise that I won't.

We're getting her ready for sale now, and even that is saddening. It seems every personal thing we remove brings back a memory, and that slows down the progress. Moreover, I'm conflicted as to what kind of price is appropriate. It's so hard to put a value on something that is so much like a friend.

I do know that whoever gets Phannie will have an inexpensive, well-maintained coach fully set up for fulltiming. We added so many extras--a residential refrigerator (and door icemaker) with a new pure sine-wave inverter. In addition, we removed the old TVs and put flat screens in their places; it has a Trav'ler dish for Direct TV. We installed a third air conditioner (2006s only came with two). We had MCD powered shades installed in the cockpit and manual MCDs in the "parlor." We replaced the unreliable Atwood jacks with Bigfoot levelers--there are a number of other goodies like upgraded headlights, a powered reel for the electrical cord, fancy lighting under the main slide and under the awning...there are others, and I can't think of them all, but they cost tens of thousands of dollars. And there are the service records--every single one since NEW. And, painful as it was, financially, she has just had all her belts, hoses and airbags replaced, along with new Koni shocks. That was about six grand that the new owner will probably never have to pay. And, oh yes, you won't ever have to spend a penny on DEF; it's not required for these classic coaches. The Cat C7 diesel engine's average overhaul comes at around 500,000 miles, but I'll bet this one would go much longer. I even use a special additive that replaces the diesel fuel lubricant that was taken away by the EPA.

I'm giving you all this information, dear readers, because there may be someone out there or someone you know who would like to get an older classic Phaeton that may be the best-equipped in the country for a small fraction of her original $315,000 price tag. I'm seeing prices now in the 70s, and the lower end of that is what I'm initially thinking. Oh, yes, and Mae is for sale, too. A 2014 Honda CRV with 115,000 miles that has been equally well maintained. This would be a complete reliable fulltiming package for someone who doesn't want to spend much money--around 80k. Anyone interested can email me at mikemills159 at pm.me.

It is incredibly difficult to say goodbye; let's just say, "See you later."

Thank you all for twenty wonderful years!





 




42 comments:

  1. Mike, I have no words. (Imagine that.) After I let this simmer, I'll probably have a lot to say. (Imagine THAT!). 💙

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was the best of times and making the best of friends. (I'm talking about Alan.) : )

      Delete
    2. Mike, now that I’ve had time to think about it, gather my wits and form coherent sentences, I’d like to make the following comments: First of all, I’m much better at grammar and spelling than Alan, so you might want to re-think your allegiance. The first time he misspells one of your favorite words, you’ll cringe and the friendship will be over. Then you’ll come running (and crying) back to me with an endless string of mea culpas.

      Now, in reference to your momentous announcement, I admit that you did cast a temporary pall over my existence. Having spent the past 24 hours wallowing in despair and self-pity, I can say that this hurt much more than I would have expected it to. No, I wasn’t surprised. Yes, I saw it coming – eventually. Neither changes the fact that a future without your tales of adventure will be a bit dimmer and not nearly as much fun. As a former banker, I will always have a soft spot in my heart for Phannie and Mae. (Wink, wink.) May they both be adopted by a family that will love and care for them as much as you and Sandy have. With all that being said, I really am happy – because you and Sandy are happy with your choice of direction for the next stage of your lives. Our friendship has never been dependent on blog posts; it was built upon shared traits and values. Those traits and values are the four cornerstones of its foundation: a zest for life, a love of family and friends, a sense of humor that allows us to take life (and ourselves) only as seriously as we need to and the obsessive attention to the rules and mechanics of proper spelling and grammar. Mike, your blog may be coming to an end, but I know in my heart that our friendship never will.

      Best wishes to you and Sandy from Alan and me for all of life’s best in the years ahead!

      Delete
    3. Hear, hear my fine lady... well said indeed !

      Delete
  2. Happy Landing to you both, enjoyed the ride.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for joining us; we feel a bond with all our readers.

      Delete
  3. I have always enjoyed your travels and will miss your adventures. Take care. Janet Ontario Canada 🇨🇦

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're so happy you honored us with your readership. Our best to you.

      Delete
  4. So sorry to hear this. I have always looked forward to your posts! Fly high on your new adventures and don't be a stranger! Doug and Michelle, Kingman Arizona.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks. We will never forget meeting you nice folks; our best always.

      Delete
  5. Thank you for your wonderful posts! I enjoyed hearing about your travels and learning about all the wonderful locations you visited. You have inspired me to want to travel and see our beautiful country when I retire. Best wishes to you both for many more fun adventures in the future. You will be missed. Toni - The Poconos, PA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Toni, what a nice comment; may your travels be as wonderful as you.

      Delete
  6. Your blog posts are going to be missed. But I completely understand as I too, am reaching that decision. I pray that Phannie goes to a wonderful new owner who will have years 9f enjoyment. Have a fantastic new chapter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The time has gone by so fast, but it was a wonderful adventure. Thank you for sharing it.

      Delete
  7. Thanks for everything Mike, all the knowledge and experiences on the road you passed down within the blog. Funny but I'll bet a lot of us had the same answer when we asked similar questions "Don't worry; you'll know."

    I'll keep you in mind for sure if I hear of anyone looking for a motor home. Take care. Mark

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mark, I only wish we could have had more time together, but it was great to meet you after all of your blog posts we read. Our best always.

      Delete
    2. Mike,

      Karen and I want to extend an open invitation to our home. As I recall you enjoyed going to Branson MO. We are a little over an hour drive from there. Our guest room is always open to you guys. Mark 816-985-9280 or email mseneker@hotmail.com. We live in Midway AR about 30 minutes east of Harrison near Bull Shoals Lake.

      Mark
      Our Future in an RV Blog.

      Delete
  8. We appreciate everything you have taught us, and that's a lot! We're so glad we were able to see you in person. Enjoy your new digs and stay safe 💕
    The Quinns

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much; we loved meeting you and Peg; happy trails, y'all!

      Delete
  9. I'm so glad we had the opportunity to meet you and Sandy. I enjoyed each of your posts and learned many things from your blog. I will certainly miss your posts, but like others, there is a time we make this decision. Best wishes to you both as you begin a new adventure without Phanny. I'm sure you'll both still enjoy life at its best. I have to agree with Bob, your blog is full of so much information that could be shared to many more RVers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheri, I could always count on you for a positive comment and a good laugh. We will miss that and the feeling of having you with us.

      Delete
  10. Mike , thank you for posting interesting information on the travels you & Sandy were fortunate to enjoy! I always looked forward to reading your posts!. I almost felt as if I was there with y’all seeing our beautiful USA! God bless each of you in your decision to ‘settle’ down! We love the Mills, Uncle Lloyd & Aunt Nettie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have been so blessed, Aunt Nettie--not only with a wonderful family, but having had this wonderful experience. We think of you and Uncle Lloyd and your family often.

      Delete
  11. I also sold my 2004 travel trailer after 20 great years of recreational rv-ing. Even though I miss it and the great traveling I enjoyed from it, I’ve never regretted my decision to sell. I’m a home boy now and really enjoy that, too. I’m sure you will be the same! Adios!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, that is more confirmation for us, and we think we will feel the same as you. Thank you for riding with us.

      Delete
  12. I'd always hoped to cross paths, but I guess it was not meant to be. You might consider doing some traveling, via cruises or road trips. Even though you are giving up the RV Lifestyle, does not mean you can't tell us how things are going once in a while. Once part of the RV Family, always part of the Family.
    At this point we are looking at a few more years of having new adventures.
    Be Safe and Enjoy the changes.

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we almost feel more than cyber friends, having read so many of your writings. We will still be traveling, for sure...I'm just ready to be a rider rather than a driver.

      Delete
  13. I'm sure it was a hard decision but your lives were sure made fuller by the choices you've made. Good luck with moving forward.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks, Patsy. I know you will enjoy your time "out there" as much as we did.

      Delete
  14. You're so right, Bob. What a hoot you and Janet are! We do indeed feel like family, and it may be even more likely that we'll meet up one of these days.

    ReplyDelete
  15. And we will keep the blog online. I think it may deserve a little longer life.

    ReplyDelete
  16. While this is a surprise but I do understand. I have enjoyed reading and following along all your adventures. I had hoped we would cross paths at sometime, got close once. At this time I am hoping that we get 5 more years before we give up the full-time life style. All the best for the future, enjoy and God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sincerely honored that you have ridden with us, Bill. May your travels be safe and rewarding.

      Delete
  17. Wow! Surprised but happy for you guys at the same time. Can you make the Ad a shareable one so we can post it on our page for you? Love and Hugs sent your way.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Well - - eventually we all knew this day would come. Your writings have allowed us to enjoy your travels and experiences all these years. Is Lindale still a long term plan even without Phannie???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is a unique community and perfect for us, very near my hometown. We're so honored that you followed along with us.

      Delete
  19. I want to say we are surprised but we are not, I think those that have known you were aware that this part of your experiences was winding, down but your announcement still comes as unexpected news.
    You have been truly blessed to have your number of landings equal the number take-offs as we have been truly blessed that you "landed" in our lives even if for only a short while. You and Sandy have been an encouragement to Lanie and me as we contemplated the purchase of our own Motorcoach, your friendship genuine, your guidance and advice invaluable.
    Personally, this Blog was the impetus and inspiration to start my own Blog and I truly hope you will continue to make occasional post...

    Abundant Blessings,
    Walt & Lanie C.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is with great regret that you and Lanie didn't come along until near the end of this chapter. Why couldn't it have been earlier? We cannot withstand a permanent separation; we'll get together again somehow. I'm honored by your comments, but mine would be similar regarding you two. Until then, we await your beaming down. Travel blessings always, my friends.

      Delete
    2. We are surprised, saddened, grateful and sincerely thankful. You and Sandy have been the most special part of our RV life and reason we extended our travels to the extend we have! Words can not do justice to the love we have shared with you both nor express the memories. You introduced us to Red Bay…..need I say more? We love and respect you dear friends!

      Delete
    3. It was a divine meeting, for sure. Dearest friends we shall always be.

      Delete
  20. I have so enjoyed reading your posts -- both of the places you went, but also your self-deprecating sense of humor. A hard decision for sure; we made that decision in 2019 after 13 years of fulltiming. The Lord truly does let you know when "it's time" -- we built a home in northern NM to settle in, & my husband was diagnosed with cancer a little over 2 years later. I so wish he had been able to enjoy our home longer, but I am where we wanted to be, in a location I love, & in a home that was our last "project" together. I am grateful we made the decision when we did. I will miss your posts, but hope for great new adventures for you! Renee Z

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Renee, for your kind words. There are so many readers whom we would love to have met, but we will now count you among our cyber friends. God bless you always.

      Delete

I appreciate comments and read every one of them. If your Blogger settings allow, I will happily respond.