Phannie

Phannie
Photo taken near Monument Valley, Utah

Tuesday, March 14, 2017

Sure Enough, It Gets Colder When you Go North!

At Long Lake RV Resort, Poteau, Oklahoma...

I knew it was too early to leave the Rio Grande Valley. I suppose we had been lulled into thinking that our tropical clime would somehow go with us northbound, but it didn't. After an uneventful leg to Port Aransas, we enjoyed a nice seafood dinner with Jackie and Steve at a local dockside restaurant. Here are our traveling mates at our table overlooking the harbor. Looks like a pirate ship may be approaching over Steve's shoulder:


It has really been a pleasure traveling with these two fine folks; we've had a great time with a lot of laughs. 

Our next stop was at the Jamaica Beach RV Resort near Galveston to attend another Tiffin owners' club rally. The closer we got to our destination, the worse the weather became, unfortunately. Our entire stay there was marked by cold weather, including rain, fog and then high winds as a front blew through. To make things worse, the RV park had just partially completed a new expansion, and the new spaces and roads were unbelievably narrow. Most of the big rigs had great difficulty navigating the maze without hitting something or running the wheels off the pavement into the mud. What a mess! Obviously, the owners were motivated entirely by greed when designing this sardine-can part of the park, having no consideration for their potential customers. We will not be back, and you can be certain of that.

One of the rally events I always enjoy is "Tech Talk," a discussion about technical issues related to our Tiffin motorhomes. On this occasion, I was asked to give a presentation on computer-aided trip planning, which I was happy to do. Here's a photo of my lecture, using my iPad to project images onto the TV set behind me.


Here are three of our members looking on:

Art, Hank and Shirley at the Tech Talk lecture.
In defense of those hard working club members who set up locations for our rallies, their job is not an easy one. There are actually very few parks that can accommodate a large group like ours, and I don't think anyone realized what had happened to Jamaica Beach during its expansion. You guys do a great job getting us fine rally locations, and we appreciate it.

Leaving Galveston, we stopped near Kemah to have lunch with Mindy and Tyler and the grands. This was a great little reunion, and I was so pleased that the boys ran to greet me even before I got out of my seat there in Phannie's cockpit:

This photo may give you the wrong idea; I'm actually very strict with the boys; they get away with nothing around me. You believe that, right?

We said goodbye to everyone after lunch, and Jackie and Steve headed back to Austin. Although we were sorry to see them go, we know they were desperate to see their little granddaughter, Maddie, who lives nearby.  It was hard to leave our family, too, but we will be back before long, and Mimi and Poppy, as always, will have an armload of surprises for them.

Our first stop after Galveston was near Canton, Texas at a Passport America park named Bluebird RV Park. This was a rather basic park, but quiet enough, and we especially liked the $18 discounted parking fee.

We left Canton in rain that was preceding yet another blustery cold front, whose strong winds we fought all the way to Poteau, Oklahoma to Long Lake Resort, another Passport America park. Again, the price was right at $21, and we had a nice paved spot next to the river. What a deal! What's not so great is that it is going to be freezing tonight, and the temperature will drop into the twenties in Branson! What were we thinking, leaving the warm RGV? 

Tomorrow we meet up with other longtime RV friends, Bubba and LouAnn, who will have with them some more of our friends, Harvey and Mary Lou. What a good time we'll have as we travel on up to Branson!

Thank you, Lord, for this wonderful life; please forgive me if I don't appreciate it enough each day.

14 comments:

  1. Oh no too early to go to Branson.... hope it warms up for you soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so right, George. If we hadn't had concert tickets, we would have waited, for sure.

      Delete
  2. Not liking the sound of your cool wet weather. Be careful! We have another 10 days before we start the slow trek home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Patsy! I had forgotten how much I hate cold, rainy weather. I hope your return is more agreeable.

      Delete
  3. Wait long enough and maybe our heat spell will move east.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you're onto something. It is supposed to be quite nice here in Branson next week! Yay!

      Delete
  4. March is definitely a little early for going too far north. Unless you come over our way. Record heat for us. I'm with Jan in hoping that it moves on over your direction. But good friends will help warm up the atmosphere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, indeed; friends can make all the difference, can't they?

      Delete
  5. What a questionable trip to the Valley! Getting so sick did not help our adventure... but we appreciate the one week of sun (out of three) and the time spent with our RV family! Making memories😍💪😍
    But like you I think we will never venture to Jamaica Beach RV park in Galveston!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I gave them a hickey in RVparkreviews.com. Building strictly for greed can have consequences, I think. Thanks for going with us, bug and all! We enjoyed ourselves immensely!

      Delete
  6. Looks like it was not a bad thing to have missed this rally, however, I was very interested in attending your session on trip planning. I would have liked to compare with what I do............ maybe I can improve!

    See you down the road.

    Richard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I figured you had put a hex on us, Richard; it was pretty miserable. We confess to having missed you--well, that is, we missed Patsy. But don't worry; I'll do a private briefing just for you. You would probably have needed remedial training anyway. See y'all soon!

      Delete
  7. Indeed, travelling with good company is always a good idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mary! Thanks for stopping by and commenting. Yes, we've met so many nice folks in the RV world. We feel very blessed to have good friends.

      Delete

I appreciate comments and read every one of them. If your Blogger settings allow, I will happily respond.