Phannie

Phannie
Photo taken near Monument Valley, Utah

Saturday, May 2, 2020

Places We Would Revisit

At Orchard Valley RV Park, Prescott Valley, Arizona...

As we approach the end of our lockdown here in Arizona, I figure it's time to send out another update. Being able to include something interesting is a bit of a challenge, since nothing very compelling has been going on here. In 15 years of RVing, we have never before had the experience of having no significant interaction with RV neighbors in nearly two months. I guess the virus has everyone spooked, although I don't think anyone else has checked into the infection statistics in our location. In the zip codes covering the towns of Dewey and Prescott Valley that border our park, there have been fewer than 10 Covid cases and no deaths. That makes for astronomical odds against running into anyone who is contagious, but such facts don't seem to make much difference when there's nothing but 24-hour doom on the TV. It's pretty sad.

One thing to which we've become accustomed is cooking in Phannie. In all this time, we've had only three takeout meals. All the rest have been cooked in the coach by me, since Sandy is still waiting on the orthotics that, hopefully, will relieve some of her arthritic foot pain that she has when she's on her feet.  We have two meals a day--brunch and supper--and you certainly couldn't call any of them gourmet or even mildly complicated, for that matter. Although my grub is simple southern cooking, we have a surprising variety of dishes that I found I could cook, and, since I also wash the dishes to keep Sandy off her feet, I don't get any complaints from her. The only thing I don't cook is cornbread and baked goods like cookies, cakes and pies. I would never try to compete with her on such things, and I don't particularly enjoy baking stuff. Besides, we definitely should not be eating these sorts of things so, although I miss these goodies, it's much better that they aren't available. I will admit that I've talked Sandy into fixing cornbread a couple of times; I help as much as I can, so she can stay off her feet as much as possible. 

The Arizona governor still has the whole state closed down, which I think is ridiculous for rural areas like this. I don't know why it has to be a one-size-fits-all situation but, since we're not Arizonans, we really don't have any say in the matter--just an opinion.

Now, let's get to the real topic of this piece--places we've been that we would definitely revisit.  Most of these have been in the western U. S.--probably because of the scenery and open spaces. 

Number one would probably be the Grand Canyon. We never get tired of the wonders of this immense place:



Then, of course, we would have to go back to Glacier National Park, as we only saw half of it when we were there, due to forest fires at the time:
  

We need to go back to Yellowstone, all of which we still haven't seen because the park is so large:


Estes Park and Rocky Mountain National Park. We're hoping to go back here and to Yellowstone this summer, if things work out:





Monument Valley. Who could get tired of these vistas?





Moab Area: Arches and Canyonlands N.P.s:






Big Bend Area:




Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg and the Smokies:



Arizona. We didn't get to see everything here we wanted to visit this winter because of the pandemic. We definitely must return and do this.



The Oregon Coast and the Pacific Northwest:



The Gulf Coast:



Alaska:



Hawaii:




Maine:



As I'm writing this, I am overwhelmed by all of this beloved country and Europe that we have seen--some of which occurred before digital photography was in use, and I haven't digitized those photos! I simply cannot include all of the places we would like to revisit. But I find that I'm getting ahead of myself, because there are still so many places we haven't seen yet!  

God willing, this plague will go away and we can get busy again!


Thank you, Lord, for this wonderful life; 
please forgive me if I fail to appreciate it each day as I should.

We don't stop playing because we get old; we get old because we stop playing. 
 ---George Bernard Shaw


"I get up every morning, and I just don't let the old man in." ---Clint Eastwood

18 comments:

  1. Glad to hear ya'll are still upright frequently. Have fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Barney! Your posts always cheer us up every day. Your having toooo much fun makes us forget about all the negatives going on.

      Delete
  2. There is a DC in Mesa, he is fantastic and helped many people. Dr. Patrick Sartz. Many folks from all over the Country go to Mesa to see him. Might be worth a call.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the recommendation. If she can't get relief from this orthotic that is pending arrival, we may just head for Mesa.

      Delete
  3. As one of the "spooked",I hesitate to thank you and your neighbors for your sacrifices in helping to keep those low infection statistics in your corner of the world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment. I want to be clear that I have no problem with the mitigation efforts in those places where they are warranted. This is not one of them, thankfully. People's lives are being destroyed and businesses closed for good when the likelihood of encountering the virus is incredibly low. Even so, we've done our part in staying put.

      Delete
  4. Traveling throughout this magnificent country of ours creates a conundrum of epic proportions. We started out with a "bucket list" and have been steadily adding check marks throughout our 40 years of marriage. However, because we have enjoyed so many of these captivating destinations to such an incredible extent, we have a difficult time with the "one and done" concept, and our "Return To" list keeps growing. Plus, we're constantly discovering new places to explore, so the original bucket list never seems to grow shorter. I understand that it's a delightful problem to have, but it does complicate travel planning. Although I think we're "Yellowstoned out," at this point, we share a number of other favorites - magical places, every one of them. I do hope Sandy's orthotics arrive soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean. When I began writing this piece, I thought the 'revisit' list would be rather short, since we've been to so many places. However, when I began looking at the photos, they brought back such good memories and the realization that we hadn't fully explored some of them, the list became daunting! Then there are those we have yet to see! Life is too short, but we've given it a good go, haven't we?

      Delete
  5. Glad to see you two are doing well. Statistically speaking, you probably couldn't have picked a better place to hang out. Our stats over in Mohave county are low also, but not as good as where you are. Stay safe and we hope we all can get back out there soon! Doug and Michelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are glad this turned out to be our 'hunker down' place. I hope this gets resolved soon. Glad y'all are okay. Have fun in Williams!

      Delete
  6. My husband is a native Arizonan and I am almost a native Arizonan. We are proud of our statistical rating and would like to keep it that way. If you open the rural areas people would flock there...even from out of state. Just look at what happened in Wickenburg yesterday at the Horse Shoe Café. You can't fix stupid. So yes...stay home...stay safe...stay connected.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is curious to me how people discount the lives ruined by loss of jobs and the closure of businesses. Perhaps we should also keep smokers quarantined, as their deaths per year (including about 40,000 who die from second-hand smoke) are 480,000 per year, yet we still sell cigarettes. 35,000 people die from auto accidents each year, yet we still drive. It's natural to be fearful about new threats, but reason needs to be applied at some point. Just my opinion, to which we're all entitled.

      Delete
    2. In no way do I discount the lives ruined by loss of jobs and the closure of businesses. I don't believe we should still sell cigarettes. To compare this to auto accidents is just...I don't even know what to say about that. Yes, reason needs to be applied at some point but not yet. I have a strong feeling that the states that have re-opened will be shut down again. I wish you and Sandy and well and know you must be looking forward to moving on.

      Delete
    3. I value highly your opinion and your readership. Thank you for commenting; we wish you well, and you can be sure that we will be careful.

      Delete
  7. You've got a lot of travelling to do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Boy, you're not kidding! We should have started this journey much sooner. We'll probably run out of steam before we get it all done.

      Delete
  8. Right there with ya buddy. . .all those places are worth another look. Each and every one. Great pics.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, dear Janice. You and Dave must be happy to be where you are right now. Hope to see you soon!

      Delete

I appreciate comments and read every one of them. If your Blogger settings allow, I will happily respond.