Phannie

Phannie
Photo taken near Monument Valley, Utah

Wednesday, April 12, 2023

The Cast is Off; Rehab Begins

 At Ranchito Hondo, Hondo, Texas...

In the last post, I showed a photo of my hand just after surgery. A couple of days ago, they removed the more permanent hard cast that had been annoying me for weeks. Having never worn a cast before, I couldn't imagine how they would saw it off without also dismembering my hand, which would leave me in worse shape than before surgery! Oddly, the technician demonstrated beforehand that even if the saw were touched directly to the arm, it would not leave a cut of any kind. I still haven't figured that out! I thought I would include a little video here of the process. Here is the link:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hrnw85gs5cmsowe/Mike%27s%20Cast%20Removal.mp4?dl=0

There is a good chance that a number of readers will have this surgery when they get older, and there are lots of YouTube videos that describe it in detail. It's called a CMC Arthroplasty, and I can already tell you that it is a welcome relief from the arthritis pain I was suffering. I am typing this post quite easily and painlessly only six weeks after surgery. My left hand and wrist are a bit weak after having been immobilized for that time, but I can already tell that progress in that area will be rapid. I haven't tried playing the piano yet, but that will come in a day or two. 

Besides the surgery, we haven't been doing much here at the park. I have been elected to the board of directors, so that has taken up a good bit of my spare time. 

Lot owners are already starting to thin out from here as they begin their spring and summer travels, and we will be joining them in mid-May. Our first stop will be in Conroe, Texas to see the kids and then to Arkansas to visit friends and get a little paint touch-up on Phannie. After that, we'll drift over to Red Bay for a couple of items, then to Colorado again for the summer. 

Since I don't have much to chat about until we begin our travels in May, I'll simply leave you with a photo of Crater Lake, one of the many wonderful sights that we've enjoyed all over the country:


For those who are wondering about what our "escape plan" will be from fulltiming, the answer is that we don't really have one. I've already written about our status now after 18 years of RVing and seven years of fulltiming. Well, Sandy and I talk occasionally about that and, while we could be said really to be part-timing right now, neither of us has any desire to have the confinement, upkeep and expense of a stick-and-brick house. 

The little cabin on our property is just right to hold our personal items, the piano and a small workshop. It is air conditioned and has a nice seating arrangement for guests, but we don't live in it. It is just sort of an extension of Phannie. It's also pretty neat to be able to rent out our RV pad during our extended absences.

We'll have some more updates when we begin rolling again before long, but that's what's going on right now.

Thank you, Lord, for this wonderful life; please forgive me if I don't appreciate it as I should every day.



We don't stop playing because we get old; we get old because we stop playing. 
 ---George Bernard Shaw

"I get up every morning, and I just don't let the old man in." ---Clint Eastwood

7 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your progress, Mike! I'll bet the last six weeks haven't been easy for you. Would I be correct in assuming that there might have been a bit of impatience on your part? (Poor Sandy!) I'll also bet that playing the piano will do you a world of good both physically and mentally. Getting back to doing something you love, especially without pain, will brighten your days, and the physical action of moving and stretching your fingers and hands will quickly rebuild your strength. By the time you're ready to break camp and hit the road you'll be in great shape!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me? Impatient? I had threatened to take the cast off myself some time ago, but Sandy, thankfully, talked me out of it. God bless her! She not-so-gently told me what a stupid idea that was and reminded me that my surgeon would probably not be too happy, as he would then have to do more surgery to repair the damage I would have done to my arm and hand. But freedom is glorious, and I'm sure getting back to playing will help a lot in improving the strength in my hand. Thank you for the good wishes, and we'll be looking forward to October!

      Delete
  2. Interesting video. I've never had a cast either, touch wood, hope things continue for improved use of your hand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Patsy. I was not looking forward to the surgery, but glad to have that cast off. Our best to you!

      Delete
  3. Missed your blog entry but I guess there is really nothing to write about when you are not traveling. Sounds like the recovery is moving right along. Best wishes for that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Becky. Sorry it took so long for me to reply. Just published a new post today.

      Delete
  4. I had a cast on my left leg and could not figure out the cast taking off thing either, was sure that it would go right threw!! But, you are right! No, it didn't... good thing, huh?

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate comments and read every one of them. If your Blogger settings allow, I will happily respond.