Phannie

Phannie
Photo taken near Monument Valley, Utah

Sunday, June 14, 2015

We're All Here!

At KOA RV Park, South Padre Island, Texas...

We left Padre with plenty of time to spare before meeting Mindy, Tyler and the kids at the Harlingen airport. Ever on the lookout for good eateries where the locals eat, I did some research and found much local buzz about the Rio Grande Grill in downtown Harlingen. This would be a perfect opportunity for a couple of foodies like us to check it out and see if the reviews were justified.

They were! I had a brisket sandwich containing huge slabs of brisket that were smoked for 16 hours, according to Dan, the proprietor. It was really, really good! Dan certainly has brisket cooking figured out, and I wish I had some more right now!


Sandy, to the relief of cattle everywhere, opted for smoked fish tacos instead. While this fish taco dish was excellent, I was having a near-religious experience with the brisket, so I was not able to devote much of my attention to the tacos. That was probably a mistake, I think.



The Rio Grande Grill in Harlingen
 
After meeting their flight, we took the kids immediately to their hotel at Padre Island, some 45 miles away. We then set out on a tour of the Schlitterbahn water park and took a quick walk out to the beach. None of them had been here before, and they took a particular liking to the fine sand forming the beach, to say nothing of the beautiful blue green color of the Gulf of Mexico. From the photos below, it looks like a hit!
 



We had a quick and tasty dinner at Pizza Hut. (Oh, please...I can hear that tsk tsk from here; we just happen to like their pizza, so give us a break!) Besides, we find ourselves looking for kid-friendly places most often these days for some reason.
 
More about the hotel and Schlitterbahn park tomorrow!
 
Thank you, Lord, for this wonderful life; please forgive me if I don't appreciate it enough each day.
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate comments and read every one of them. If your Blogger settings allow, I will happily respond.