Phannie

Phannie
Photo taken near Monument Valley, Utah

Thursday, June 4, 2015

Summer Travel Begins

At Rayford Crossing RV Resort, Spring, Texas (Houston)...

After nearly floating away in the record-breaking spring rains, we finally have some decent sunny weather just in time to begin an exciting summer of RV travel. Our first adventure will be a long weekend at South Padre Island, Texas with Mindy, Tyler and the grands. Mason has been to the beach only once, and that doesn't really count, as he was having to dodge mounds of rotting seaweed that had washed ashore in the dishwater-colored waves at Galveston. South Padre, of course, will be a delightful opposite in terms of its aesthetic appeal. This will be Pryce's first real experience on the beach, and we're looking forward to his reaction. The boys will also enjoy the Schlitterban water park near their hotel, and we will be there to see it all.

Sandy and I are normally not what you would call beach people. We like to visit the ocean but have a very low tolerance for heat and sun exposure; however, where the grandkids are concerned, we will deal with it to be with them.

We are currently stopped at Rayford Crossing near Houston to celebrate Mason's sixth birthday and his "graduation" from kindergarten, complete with a mortarboard cap and the playing of "Pomp and Circumstance." Things are obviously quite different now in school, I guess.  I was telling Mindy that when I went to elementary school, not only was there no graduation program for kindergarteners, there was no kindergarten from which to graduate! Somehow, though, most of us managed to have some success in life; I'm just not sure how.

Tyler, Mason, Mindy and
Pryce on "Graduation" day.

As I mentioned in the previous post, we will be heading out after Padre on our trip to Alaska (RVing to Seattle, then via cruise ship). During a few days at home beforehand, Sandy will finally have to face the rigors of choosing her wardrobe. I'm not sure what kind of phobia describes a woman's fear of not having the right attire for every occasion, but she seems to have it. Given the length of this trip, along with the wild extremes in climate to be encountered and with limited closet space and the requirements of shipboard attire, this has become the perfect storm for Sandy. I'm sure she will need some Xanex before launch day.

I have begun some trip planning using My Scenic Drives website (I have no affiliation), a free trip planner that I rather like. It has some pretty neat features, and I can save my trip plan and return to work on it whenever I like.

As I contemplate what a wonderful experience our travels over the years have provided for us, I cannot help but be thankful for having been blessed with good health and the means by which we are afforded this opportunity, not to mention our appreciation and awe of God's creation around us. With this in mind, I thought it appropriate to include below just a few favorite photos of some of the inspiring locations we've visited in recent trips:


Estes Park, Colorado

Rocky Mountain National Park, Colorado

Moab, Utah

Arches National Park, Utah

Canyonlands National Park, Utah


Monument Valley, Utah


Monument Valley, Utah


Sunrise on the Mississippi, Memphis, TN

Smoky Mountain National Park, Gatlinburg, Tennessee


Big Bend, Texas


Palo Duro Canyon, Texas
 
The Hill Country of Texas
Oh, my! This is such a small sample; there are so many more photos I could include, and each has a good memory on which a value cannot be placed. That's why I began some time ago to include this signoff on my posts:

Thank you, Lord, for this wonderful life, and please forgive me if I do not appreciate it each day as I should.




1 comment:

  1. Mike, I couldn't agree with you more. Through our travels, we've seen magnificent places, met wonderful people and enjoyed incredible experiences. The memories and the photos from our adventures are priceless. I don't take any of this for granted. Yes, we worked hard to build a good life and a secure retirement. But we've been blessed beyond measure when it comes to our health and our stable family situation both of which allow us to take full advantage of our opportunities. I, too, appreciate that quote, and I read it every time I finish one of your posts. By the way, while all of these photos are lovely, the pic of the Smokies stole my heart.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate comments and read every one of them. If your Blogger settings allow, I will happily respond.