Phannie

Phannie
Photo taken near Monument Valley, Utah

Sunday, February 7, 2016

OSR

At Llano Grande RV Resort, Mercedes, Texas...

Years ago I was acquainted with a local small-town radio personality who was truly a publicity hound. Trading on his popularity with his radio audience, he sought out public appearances for himself in all kinds of local events as master of ceremonies or a speechmaker or the like. He was a member of several civic groups, and his photo often appeared in the newspaper. One day, I asked him how he would know when he had "arrived" as a celebrity. 

"OSR," he answered.

"OSR?" I asked, with a raised eyebrow.

"On-the-Street Recognition," he said. When a stranger comes up to you on a sidewalk, calling your name and engaging you in conversation, then you have OSR. Then I would consider myself a celebrity."

Well, I suppose we have attained a tiny degree of celebrity ourselves, and that obtained in the oddest of places. Sandy and I were walking down a crowded sidewalk in Progreso, Mexico the other day, and a stranger (who was obviously another U. S. snowbird visiting Mexico for the day) strode up to us and said, excitedly, "Phannie and Mae!" After a short delay due to our surprise, Sandy and I said, simultaneously, "Yes!"


"I'm Frank," he said. "I read your blog; you just sold your house, and you're now fulltiming, aren't you?"


"Well, yes!" Sandy said. But before she could get anything else out, Frank pointed down the sidewalk and said with some apprehension, "I would like to talk to you, but I've got to catch up with my wife." Then he bolted away, not to be seen again. 

Sandy and I looked at each other, astonished. I guess by virtue of having posted in this blog for ten years, we have had a number of pleasant encounters with strangers who recognize our rig. Let's face it: There aren't that many gray Phaetons out there pulling a red HHR. But this was the first time we had been recognized outside the environs of the blog's namesake vehicles. And we certainly didn't expect such a thing on the sidewalk of a tiny Mexican border town.

So Frank, I know you're out there, and I suppose you're responsible for giving us a slight taste of OSR, even though it's not something we seek. It made our day, though, and I hope you'll comment here and tell us a little about yourself and your wife (I hope you found her.)

Thank you, Lord, for this wonderful life; please forgive me if I don't appreciate it enough each day.





No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate comments and read every one of them. If your Blogger settings allow, I will happily respond.