Phannie

Phannie
Photo taken near Monument Valley, Utah

Sunday, September 4, 2016

Roswell

At Midway RV Park, Roswell, New Mexico...

This is merely a one-night stop for us, so we were looking for a budget parking space, and we found it. This little park is about five miles out of town and is inhabited mostly by permanent residents. There are several paved pull-thrus with fifty-amp power and water but, oddly, no sewer connections. Fortunately, Phannie's waste tanks were empty, so we didn't need the sewer connection anyway. The rate was a dirt cheap fifteen bucks with Passport America, so we were pretty happy with this find for a single night stay. However, we happened to notice the huge cattle feed lot nearby and considered our good fortune that the wind was from the south, blowing the "aroma" away from us. If it hadn't been, that may have been a show stopper for us.

Arriving here from Santa Fe was a bit of a jolt, in that the outside air temperature had reached 96 degrees as we were parking. We knew we were going to encounter this kind of heat again after our idyllic summer in the mountains, but we thought it would more likely be when we got all the way into Texas. When we left Phannie's cool air conditioned comfort and stepped out into the hellish heat at Roswell, we looked at each other and thought the same thing: "What were we thinking?"

I think Sandy finally had a heatstroke while we were downtown Roswell, as told me she thought she saw a large alien while walking along Main Street. I don't know where she gets these ideas...


Tomorrow night will be in Midland, Texas, on our way to Killeen to visit friends and relatives.

Thank you, Lord, for this wonderful life; please forgive me if I don't appreciate it enough each day.

10 comments:

  1. I will wave to you if we pass as I head north to Roswell tomorrow. I met the lady owner of Mid-way a couple of weeks ago at the Roswell Wal-Mart. Nice lady.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Barney! Wow, I hope we bump into you. I'll be on the lookout!

      Delete
  2. Nice to get a reasonable spot for the night. The feed lot would not bother us and we have lived in the country for most of our lives and Suzie from a dairy farm.
    Travel safe to Midland, we have memories of being stranded there for 3 days On Dec 3rda few years ago, freezing rain and black ice.
    Nice to run into that friendly Alien.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I admire you for your grit, George. I think Sandy and I are probably a couple of wusses.

      Delete
  3. We love Roswel. Had our only breakdown in that town. Everyone was so helpful. Love the way the town has incorporated the alien theme.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, Jan; it's a nice town, and I'm sure the alien thing helps the economy a lot.

      Delete
  4. We also really enjoyed our time in Roswell and would definitely go back but not til it cools down. Friendly aliens are the best kind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. This was a lot of fun...but it doesn't take much to amuse us old folks!

      Delete
  5. Just be happy she did not want to take the green fellow along in the RV:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She did, but I told her she had to choose the alien or me. It took her a while to make up her mind. (grin)

      Delete

I appreciate comments and read every one of them. If your Blogger settings allow, I will happily respond.