Phannie

Phannie
Photo taken near Monument Valley, Utah

Saturday, September 2, 2017

Bryce Canyon National Park and Relief From the Heat

At Temple View RV Resort, St. George, Utah...

It was a treat finally to be heading back up into the mountains northeast of St. George to find Bryce Canyon. It was a 2 1/2 hour drive, and we chose to go eastbound on highway 9 through Zion again to intercept U. S. 89 to Bryce. This was really good fortune, as we only drove a short distance through Zion on our previous visit and didn't see the section of highway 9 that continued beyond the Zion canyon. It was a gorgeous drive, and we highly recommend it. 

As we gained altitude toward Bryce Canyon, the temperature outside steadily fell until it read 79 degrees at the 8,000+ foot elevation in the park. Now this was more like it, since the Mae's outside temperature gauge read 105 degrees when we left St. George. 

Because it was so pleasant outside, we spent quite a bit of time walking around the trails overlooking the remarkable hoodoos (the totem pole-like pillars of rock that are more prevalent in Bryce than anywhere else. These are formed, according to Wikipedia, by the erosion of softer layers of sediment underneath harder layers that protect the spires beneath.) Here are some photos:





Such colors!
  
I liked this one because it reminded me of the entrance to some ancient temple with people standing in the entrance.



This one looks a bit like the Parthenon in Greece with smaller buildings around it. 



This grouping looks like people very close together lined up for something.



The setting sun in late afternoon proved perfect for accentuating the vivid colors of the canyon and the thousands of hoodoos. 


I loved the look of this long-dead tree standing sentinel-like over this amazing spectacle.


And so we bid goodbye for now to this fantastic geological wonder:



Before we left the small community of Bryce, Utah just outside the entrance to the park, we stopped at Ebenezer's Barn to see the western music show that also included dinner:



This was a recommendation by friends Chuck and Tita. The singers and instrumentalists were an unbelievably talented group doing western swing music probably as well as it can be done. I think their rendition of "Tumbling Tumbleweeds" was the best I ever heard. The dinner, unfortunately, wasn't so memorable, but the show made up for it. Thanks, guys, for telling us about this.

What a fine side trip this was! I hope everyone has an opportunity to visit both Zion and Bryce Canyon Parks. They are well worth the effort.


Thank you, Lord, for this wonderful life; please forgive me if I don't appreciate it enough each day.

I had rather own little and see the world than to own the world and see little of it.  
--Alexander Sattler

8 comments:

  1. wow. . .wow. . .wow. . .glad for the great temps so you guys could get all these wonderful pics. I just hate that we are going to miss it this trip. . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't worry; we'll be sure and lord it over you when we see you! ;-)

      Delete
  2. Bryce is a favorite park of mine. Glad I hiked to the floor and back in my 20's, it sure would not happen now. Beautiful pictures you posted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my goodness! Impressive! I couldn't have done that in my 20's for sure.

      Delete
  3. Looks like a real; fun side trip thanks for the wonderful photos of the amazing scenery there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, George! Yes, it was an amazing sight. Can't believe this was our first time to see it.

      Delete
  4. Also beautiful and we have been there and I believe we were wearing jackets.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I can take cold better than heat. It was very pleasant there on the day we went.

      Delete

I appreciate comments and read every one of them. If your Blogger settings allow, I will happily respond.