Photo taken near Monument Valley, Utah

Sunday, March 2, 2014

Getting an Early Start; But Why?

At Gulf Waters RV Resort, Port Aransas, Texas…

Today was departure day for Ed and Marilyn and us, along with Bob and Janet, who departed from another park in Mission, Texas.  While we were headed for Port Aransas, the others' next port of call would be Buckhorn RV Resort in Kerrville. 

As mentioned in my last post, we did indeed show up to bid Ed and Marilyn farewell at 8:00 a.m., along with Heinz and Irene and Ron and Verna. Sandy and I didn't look particularly elegant, but we were quite proud of ourselves for being able to give a personal goodbye to our hosts and friends and wish them all traveling mercies.  Marilyn took photos of us well wishers, but I think I was squinting due to the unexplained presence of some kind of giant fireball in the eastern sky, blinding me with its increasing brightness as it rose ever higher above the horizon.  No one else seemed particularly agitated by this phenomenon, which could have been some kind of alien death ray, for all they knew.  As soon as Ed and Marilyn departed, I retreated back to Phannie until the bright orb attained a height that appeared not to be directed at me. Oddly, I saw no news reports of UFO sightings, so the bright fireball remains a mystery.

The photo below captured our friends as they were pulling away from their parking spot.  I wish I had had the presence of mind to take a photo after Ed hooked up Marilyn's car to the fiver, which was hooked up to their pickup; you usually don't see that much rolling stock that's not on railroad tracks. I have to give Ed credit for good driving skills in handling safely this rolling wagon train. 

Sandy and I reverted to our usual calm completion of pre departure activities, and I nosed Phannie and Mae out of Llano Grande around elevenish, a time much more agreeable for people of leisure, don't you think?

Ed and Marilyn Rolling Out from Llano Grande
Our trip to Gulf Waters, a beautiful park in Port Aransas, was uneventful, and we arrived around mid-afternoon after stopping for a leisurely lunch near Kingsville.  After getting set up, we received a call from Ed, who wished to know if we had arrived without incident.  What a nice gesture!  He also suggested a local seafood restaurant named Fins, for us to try if we liked.  We did, and thought it was quite good; thanks, Ed.

In tomorrow's post, I'll have more photos and information about Gulf Waters and our adventures in the Corpus Chrisi area along with some reflections about our stay in the RGV.


  1. We used to tow a boat behind our fiver. Jim was fine with it but it really bothered me when we were almost 75 feet long. So we don't do that anymore. We keep a boat in AZ and one in MT. Works for me. I much prefer your time of departure.

  2. Ed

    There is another Tiffin couple at Gulf Waters, and I follow their blog. It is:

    They are delightful people, and I would like to meet them some day. Look at the blog...... you may want to take the opportunity to meet them. I assume they are still there.

    Safe Travels

  3. You may be interested to know that next Saturday Mar 8th, there will be belt sander races at The Gaff bar on Beach St. in Port Aransas. They even have a drag race starter light and begin with the national anthem.



I appreciate comments and read every one of them. If your Blogger settings allow, I will happily respond.