Phannie

Phannie
Photo taken near Monument Valley, Utah

Sunday, June 12, 2022

Small Town Charm

  At The Hitchin' Post RV Park, Plainview, Texas...

As we travel around the country, we are encouraged in these trying times by the simple friendliness that abounds in small towns. Such was the case in Kress, a lonely burg on the high plains of west Texas. A stop at Jeff's restaurant was a step into another world, where we were greeted by Rhonda (Jeff's wife) with a, "Hi, y'all, sit anywhere; I've got a fresh pie comin' out of the oven."

We were treated as though we were friends from next door and the train wreck that is our country had been a bad dream. We sat near the buffet, fussed over by Jeff and his young grandson, who was obviously learning the ropes. As the excellent home-cooked offerings were gobbled up by customers, Jeff put his hand on the young man's shoulder, saying, "Come on, boy, let's cook up some more catfish."

After our meal, we bent the rules and shared a slice of Rhonda's coconut pie, a little piece of heaven that had somehow made its way to earth. As we left, Rhonda waved and said, "Y'all come back now," in a syrupy Texas drawl. For this brief stop, it was fifty years ago. Oh, if only time could stand still...


I posted the passage above in Facebook and received an unexpectedly large response, for reasons I don't quite understand. Perhaps it was because, considering these crazy times, a lot of people are reminiscing about the 'good old days.' In fact, it will be published in my hometown monthly newspaper, and the editor, a high school classmate, asked me to write a column to appear in each issue. Totally surprised, I accepted; We'll see how that goes. (Hint: Next topic--Covid.) We leave Plainview for Colorado tomorrow.

 Thank you, Lord, for this wonderful life; 

please forgive me if I fail to appreciate it each day as I should.

We don't stop playing because we get old; we get old because we stop playing. 
 ---George Bernard Shaw

"I get up every morning, and I just don't let the old man in." ---Clint Eastwood


7 comments:

  1. I hope you will post your monthly articles here! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LEMON MERINGUE... my fav ! Haven't had a great one since Grammy Solt passed! - We are back at Lone Star and will live vicariously thru your exploits... REPRESENT !!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops... Coconut, My BAD !!

      Delete
    2. Glad you're home! I will try to carry on the torch!

      Delete
  3. Mike Mills the Journalist! Can't wait! Alan and I have been talking about the lack of good customer service a lot lately. It annoys me so much that I'm currently drafting a post on it. We love hearing about places like Jeff's Restaurant and the kind of experience you had there. Good for them - and good for you for publicizing their stellar performance!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I dearly love to find little jewels like Jeff's! I hope I can take the deadline pressure of a monthly column.

      Delete

I appreciate comments and read every one of them. If your Blogger settings allow, I will happily respond.