Phannie

Phannie
Photo taken near Monument Valley, Utah

Sunday, February 15, 2015

Harassed Aplenty, But Still Standing (Sort of)

At The Lagoons RV Resort, Rockport, Texas...

I suppose one can tell the quality of his friends by the quantity, if not the quality, of their harassment. Well, I must have some doozies. While most of the comments were kind and sympathetic regarding my poor broken foot, some of the wags whom I reluctantly identify as friends had a different kind of support in mind, namely, none. Ed assumed I tripped because I was blinded by the noon sun when I awoke. Bob figured I had been thrown out of a restaurant, since I seem to spend so much time in them. John said he would "run the numbers" to see what he would charge me to drive Phannie home.

Well, I don't want to throw stones, but the only reason Ed gets up before dawn is that he thinks he has a dog to let out. (He doesn't.) And Bob is understandably confused, as he's probably nearing 80 (he just had another birthday party where everyone put on sunscreen when they lit the candles on his cake). And John is so cheap that he once went outside and fired a gun on Christmas eve so he could tell his kids Santa killed himself rather than tell them they didn't get any gifts.

(Yes, we like each other; not to worry.)

But never fear, dear reader; just because I get jokes about my seemingly incessant posts about restaurants, I will continue undaunted to share my foodie impressions so you can weed out all but the best if you ever find yourself near where we've been. Today we went to Corpus for the day and stopped at Snoopy's Pier, a hulking restaurant overlooking Corpus Christi Bay and offering dining that is mostly al fresco. 


You order your food at a counter and take a seat, then a server will bring it to your table. The seafood was quite good and fresh, and I really enjoyed the fish and chips. Perhaps the savings in staff helps keep the prices fairly reasonable, and that's always a good thing. I give this one 3.5 stars, meaning it's worth the trip.

Not having had quite enough fresh seafood at the end of the day, we stopped at the Boiling Pot in Rockport. This ramshackle place serves mostly fresh boiled seafood, Cajun style, where they dump the steaming, spicy contents of a boiling pot onto your table. Then they put a bib on you, and you go after it, eating with your hands.




Besides the shrimp, crab or crawfish, you also get a bonus of sausage, potatoes and corn, so bring help to eat it all. We were not really all that hungry, so we settled for a bowl of gumbo and a plate of boiled shrimp. The gumbo was outstanding and very spicy, just the way I like it. The shrimp were good, too, but since they had their heads on, Sandy was freaked out a bit by the beady little eyes staring up at her. She also proclaimed that one of them was cross-eyed, but I couldn't confirm it, mainly because I'm sane. I give this place 3.5 stars, so it's worth patronizing. One more thing: Its a little pricey, so bring your man-purse along.

Lord, thank you for the wonderful life You've given me. Please forgive me if I fail to appreciate it enough each day.









5 comments:

  1. I still think you were blinded by the mid-day sun when you awoke. I can tell that you haven't lost your wit. Your wits maybe but not your wit.
    Get well soon, old friend. We send big hugs to you & Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not sure if my comment got posted.
    After living in Corpus Christi for 20+ years, we preferred Snoopy's to the Boiling Pot. If you want to tray another local spot, hit Harrison's Landing in the marina district (108 Peoples St, Corpus Christi, TX 78401). For Italian, try Luciano's (1821 S Alameda St,) Steak? Niko's is your best choice (5409 Saratoga Blvd). If you go there, ask for Gene. Tell him Jerry sent you. Good food for good folks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did I miss a post? I hope you recover quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  4. HAHAHAHA!! Love Santa killing himself, Ilterally LOLed. Poor mom and the shrimp heads!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I meant to comment about your new layout!! I really love it and it works well on mobile. Love the simplicity of it.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate comments and read every one of them. If your Blogger settings allow, I will happily respond.