Phannie

Phannie
Photo taken near Monument Valley, Utah

Friday, February 13, 2015

Well, Foot! (At Least It's Not My Leg.)

At The Lagoons RV Resort, Rockport, Texas...


I have always had a problem in not watching where I'm walking; I tend to gawk at most everything else instead. I suppose I'm afraid I'll miss something going on around me, or I could just be people-watching. Anyway, paying close attention to where my feet are seems entirely too boring. However, a rudimentary awareness of the ground upon which I'm walking is much more likely to help me avoid certain hazards. It was that lack of awareness that caused me to step in a hole while walking a couple of days ago. The hole was mostly obscured by grass, but I'm sure I would have seen it if I had been looking. I felt the jolt immediately and began to stumble, but I caught myself before my careening developed into a full belly-flop, which would be so like me. After recovering my balance, I didn't notice the pain at first, but as the time went on, my right foot began to swell, and walking became painful. Finally, a trip to an urgent care facility here in Rockport for x-rays confirmed that I had a fracture at the base of the fifth metatarsal.  It's really not a big deal, as it will only require a special boot to be worn to stabilize the foot as it heals. A larger issue is the loss of dignity as I hobble around, zombie-like, everywhere I go.


My New High-Fashion Boot!
 
This will cause us to extend our stay here for a while, until such time as I can safely drive Phannie again. There are worse places to be, however; the blizzard-ridden northeast comes to mind.

Thank you, Lord, for the wonderful life You've given me; please forgive me if I do not appreciate it enough each day.

6 comments:

  1. Mike,

    Sorry to read about your mishap! You have my sympathy!!

    If you want to read about my similar misery to give you some company, check out my blog for the time around December 2012. I broke three bones in my foot, and the doctor had to put several screws and a small plate in my foot.

    In addition to the inconvenience, the incident almost cost me that winter's trip to Quartzsite. It all began with a misstep while carry a large toy down some stairs from one granddaughter to another one!

    Good luck on your recovery........ at least you are in a nice place.

    Richard

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ouchie ouchie! But glad you can heal and recuperate in a nice warm place!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a bummer...but you're making quite the fashion statement. Heal well while you enjoy the warmth and sunshine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Man, oh man....you will do anything for attention!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Here's the post. Sorry about your stumble!

    ReplyDelete
  6. He sweetly forgot to mention that this happened in my yard! Ugh!! Fail :( You do wear it well though!! Love you bunches!!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate comments and read every one of them. If your Blogger settings allow, I will happily respond.