Phannie

Phannie
Photo taken near Monument Valley, Utah

Tuesday, January 7, 2020

Heading West This Winter

At Marathon RV Park, Marathon, Texas...

Well, good grief! I see it has been over a month since I posted anything. I have good reason, though. We spent the holidays with the kids and, as usual, headed out to our wintering location after grandson Pryce's birthday on January 3. I could post a bunch of photos of the family Christmas festivities, but that's sort of overdone, I think, in a lot of blogs. I will, however, post some pics of Sandy and me and the grandsons at a mini-celebration of Pryce's birthday. (He likes parties--especially his--and he will have others, for sure, after we leave.):


L to R: Pryce, Sandy, Me, Sutton and Mason

 You will also be forced to view a photo of newest grandson Sutton who, at eight months, is fairly stricken with his grandpa--or maybe it's the other way around, I'm not sure:



Now, isn't he adorable? (I'm talking about Sutton, not me.)

While we were in the Conroe area during the holidays, we had some time to get together with good friends and former fulltimers Dave and Janice on a couple of occasions; that's always a hoot. 

I also happened to notice, in reading his blog, that a fellow fulltimer and his wife were at the Escapees park in Livingston, so when Sandy and I went over there to pick up our mail, we made a point to stop and meet them. I even have a special link on this blog for fellow bloggers we've met in person. That's inevitably a lot of fun and interesting, since you feel you already know them.



We enjoyed meeting and visiting with Mark and Karen (above). He writes as Mark From Missouri, and his posts reveal an analytical mind like few others. I would like to be more of a planner and a thinker, rather than just winging it most of the time as I am prone to do. It's not that I can't do it; after all, it's sort of essential to analyze and plan when you're flying an airliner. I've just gotten lazy, I guess, in retirement.

So where are we going this winter? As I mentioned in the previous post, we will be in Arizona and California for most of the time. As you may recall from previous years, we usually go to the Rio Grande Valley, but we've never wintered out west, so we thought we should try it just once, anyway. 

Speaking of planning, I actually had to do way too much of that for this trip. Why? Because everybody over 55 living north of Oklahoma must be a snowbird. About a billion of them migrate every winter to exactly where we're going. I finally got reservations that will carry us into March, but I got tired of doing that and gave up. We have friends who just head out with no reservations and seem to do fine, and I guess we'll see how that works in March when we have no idea where we'll go. Oh, well, that will probably be fun, but if you don't hear from us for a while in March, look for buzzards circling, will you? 

So, you'll be seeing posts more often now as we make the long jaunt out west. Our first stop was to visit friends Richard and Karen, who recently moved into their new spot at the Lone Star Corral Escapees Co-op in Hondo. We stayed overnight and had good food and conversation at a local Mexican restaurant. They seem very happy with their new digs:



After saying our goodbyes, we headed west on U. S. 90 to our next stop--Marathon, Texas, near Big Bend National Park--for an overnight. We really despise one-night stops, but we've got to keep our schedule to get to our destination before the other snowbirds swarm in and take over our tree limb we have reserved there. 

We had never before driven this particular route westbound through Texas, and I usually rather enjoy seeing new territory. However, it seems that, no matter how you drive through west Texas, it is 1) ugly, 2) lonely, and 3) boring. If you're not on an Interstate highway, you may not see a car or a living soul for quite a while. You will, however, see plenty of border patrol vehicles, as U. S. 90 follows the U. S./Mexico border very closely. This was what we saw through the windshield for most of this lonely leg:



I thought, "This must be kinda what it was like heading west in a covered wagon." (Well, maybe not; I don't think they had roads like this.)

Okay, I've got us caught up now. Look for more frequent posts, as there's no telling what we'll find out here.


Thank you, Lord, for this wonderful life; 
please forgive me if I fail to appreciate it each day as I should.

We don't stop playing because we get old; we get old because we stop playing. 
 ---George Bernard Shaw

"I get up every morning, and I just don't let the old man in." ---Clint Eastwood

15 comments:

  1. I think both you and Sutton are adorable, Mike, and quite smitten with each other. Actually, the pic of you and Sandy with all three grandsons looks like a gathering of the Conroe area Mutual Admiration Society. Alliteration is not my strong suit but . . . Wishing you wonderful winter adventures way out west! Travel safely and enjoy exploring!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well (blushing), we may be just a little prejudiced about our grands. Love the alliteration; it is a creative correspondence construct commonly confounding to countless citizens. (But not to thee and me.)

      Delete
  2. Us West Texans love it when travelers pass through our ugly, boring and lonely landscape so we can enjoy Solitude with God, less traffic, friendly folks, no crowds or traffic jams, clear & clean air, starry skies, and some of the very best law enforcement on the planet. Pull over and stay awhile next time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well Mike, its like this. Mr. Gumo has nailed my feelings about west Texas very well. And by the way if you ever get a chance to meet Mr. Gumo in person, he is, like you, quite a nice fellow.

      Delete
    2. I too am rather fond of west Texas but have to admit my wife found the west to be quite brown her first time seeing it all... but after 8 years she now appreciates the subtler things about the west...

      Delete

    3. Oh my! I see I have left the wrong impression about my glorious native state! I should be more careful when I write these late at night when I’m tired. I should have qualified my observations by saying that no matter what the topography looks like, I love every dirt clod and tumbleweed of this vast land called Texas. And I am fully aware of what and who I miss by rushing through as I’m doing. It’s a shame, and your chastening is well deserved, my friends.

      Delete
  3. No chastening intended or desired. I only wanted to show that some other eyes love the area. Best wishes and be careful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That Sutton is a doll. . .have a wonderful trip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, dear friends. We really enjoyed our time with you.

      Delete
  5. It was great to meet you guys. We enjoyed the time at the Escapees Park but moved on to the state park at Lake Livingston which is a 10 in our book.. Thanks for mentioning us in your blog.

    I've been looking at some of the areas you mentioned in southwest Texas. Have to catch that next time. We are heading to Corpus later and then probably start the trip east along the coast as we need to be in northern Mississippi at some point.

    Our next stop is at Sumervile Lake and sorry to have missed a stop in Conroe. Thinking we will take 105 over from 59?

    Mark and Karen from Missouri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Mark. Yeah, I'm sorry we didn't have a little more time to show you around, but it was good to meet you guys. Taking 59 and 105 is the best route I know to Conroe, but we usually stay north of there in Willis. There are back roads to there that work better. You two be safe, wherever you go, and enjoy your well-earned freedom!

      Delete
  6. Ahhhh....little Sutton fits in quite perfectly and, appears to know exactly whose finger to wrap around! We have been on Hwy 90 and must agree with you a bit, that’s a long quiet trip with little to entertain you! You will like New Mexico and we love the Tucson area! I can’t believe we are totally different coasts...how does that even happen? We miss you guys and we will see you in May����������

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't thought of that--on opposites sides of the country. Good grief! Well, it's no mystery why you've been in Florida, is there? Amazing what little magnets the grandkids are. We will be back in Conroe on April 22 for three weeks--then we'll see you for sure in May! Y'all have fun!

      Delete
  7. Let me know if you make it as far as Portland, Oregon 🤗

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I wish we were, Betty. We would love to see you again. Maybe next summer; we'll let you know. God bless!

      Delete

I appreciate comments and read every one of them. If your Blogger settings allow, I will happily respond.